If Kent has a favorite place, it just might be Ray's Place. Few joints are as versatile as the big two-story restaurant/bar. Ray's Up, as it's often called, has a couple of video games, a pool table, juke box, welcoming bar, and great view of the brick street, gazebo, railroad tracks and dam below that really says, "this is Kent." The lower level also boasts a couple of video games, and plenty of bar seating, as well as tables.
Honestly-priced, well-prepared food (from burgers and wraps to spaghetti and steak dinners), and genuinely nice servers make Ray's Place a very popular place.
The big restaurant is near capacity at some point just about every day of the week, regardless of season. The crowd changes as the clock's hands turn - lunch and afternoon patrons give way to families, who usually leave as a younger college crowd bellies up to the bar.
- Hours: Open daily; hours vary seasonally
- Handicap Accessible: Downstairs only - door level with sidewalk
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- General services: Take-out
- Menu link: www.raysplacekent.com/menu.htm
- ATM: No
- Parking: On-street: free
- Private events: No
- Cuisine: American
- Price level: $
- Reservations: Not accepted
- Features: Dinner, Group-friendly, Happy Hour, Kids' Menu, Lunch, View
- Atmosphere: Bar Scene, Fun
- Cover charge: No
- Food/drink: Yes
- Alcohol served: Yes
- Bar type: Lounge, Singles bar, Sports bar
- Bar Specialties: Beer
- Bar Features: Big-screen TVs, Jukebox, Pool table
- Beer Types: Domestic, Imported, Microbrew