The took the following action Tuesday during its monthly meeting, held at :
- Participated in a Coffee Talk update on Franklin programs, including presentations from Jennifer Weitzel and her students about dioramas and timelines and Jenna Ward on the fifth graders’ experiences in the AT&T Classroom at .
- Heard an update on Ohio House Bill 191 legislation, with board members voting to send a letter recommending maintaining local control on school calendars and counting school hours.
- Recognized senior Rachel Roche for winning first place in the 12th-grade category of the Ohio Civil Rights Commission's 2012 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Art, Writing & Multimedia Contest for her piece, Promised Land.
- Recognized the Josephine Woodward Solem Memorial Foundation and trustees Tim and Ruth Trowbridge as "Friends of Kent Schools" for the foundation’s support of a new Apple computer lab at Franklin.
- Recognized Looking Glass Learning Center as the "Collaborative Organization of the Month" for its commitment to young students.
- Authorized the Summer School and Extended School Year programs.
- Approved an agreement with the International Leaders in Education program.
- Approved an agreement with Summit County Educational Service Center for substitute psychologist services.
- Approved an education concert fund agreement with the Cleveland Orchestra.
- Adopted NEOLA policies.
- Approved purchase of an acoustical shell for the Roosevelt auditorium.
- Approved an agreement for cellular service.
- Approved a resolution to advertise for bids for capital improvement projects.
- Approved tuition rates for half-day preschool and all-day kindergarten.
- Approved a contract for GAAP conversion services.
- Approved an overnight field trip for cosmetology students to Columbus for state board exams; a baseball team trip to a tournament in Dayton; a trip by German students to New York City with exchange students and a summer trip by German students to Germany.
- Accepted the retirements of Director of Special Services Tim Dortch, Roosevelt teacher Donna Crews and bus driver Ralph Doherty.
- Approved the appointment of a list of aides, classified, supplementals and substitute teachers.
- Approved donations totaling $7,931.50, including a number of donations for the library.