Week in Review: Kent News You May Have Missed
Each Friday and Saturday we recap the headlines on Kent Patch
Another busy week has come and gone, which means you may have been too busy to catch all the important headlines.
That's why we're here. As the week closes, we recap the headlines and stories you may have missed here at Kent Patch. Scroll down and take a look at the week past, which included some new parenting and weekend planning features for Kent.
- Are pay raises overdue for Kent City Council members? On Saturday, we ran our coverage of the Kent Salary Review Committee meeting on Jan. 28, at which the group talked about their responsibility for answering that question.
- The first of many new features on Kent Patch was introduced Sunday. Our new "Whiz Kid" feature is looking for your nominations. Know a youngster who deserves some recognition? Tell us about them!
- We took a closer look at the River Bend park plan on Monday, and then we told about the approval of the park plans on Wednesday.
- Don Beckett told us about his battle with cancer and a special trip to see the Ohio State Buckeyes win the 2011 Sugar Bowl in a feature story on Monday.
- Monday also marked the start of our winter storm coverage, which included a preview story on storm preparations, an introduction to a Kent family shoveling the city's sidewalks, updates on snow days and parking bans, and information from First Energy about the power company's concerns over ice.
- New parenting features debut Wednesday, including a chat with members of the Kent Patch Moms Council, a planner for busy parents on the go, and our first "Whiz Kid," Erika Jacobs.
- Breaking news about Kent council's denial for a rezoning request for a large apartment complex on South Lincoln Street closed out the night Wednesday in the top spot on Kent Patch — minutes after the decision was made by council members.
- A host of more new features premiered Thursday on Kent Patch, including a list of cool things to do in Kent this weekend, area real estate open houses this weekend, and a list of places to watch the Super Bowl in Kent.
- Snow plowing and salting costs in Kent were compared between 2009 and 2010 on Friday. And we wrapped up the afternoon with a review of police blotter from the end of January.