Here's a preview of what's on Kent City Council's agenda for tonight's meeting, which starts at 7 p.m. in council chambers at City Hall:
- A public hearing to receive comments on the 2012 Community Development Block Grant action plan.
- A work session to discuss the procedures for filling the council seat vacated by Erik Valenta.
- A discussion of possible options for honoring Adam Hamilton and other veterans who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. City Manager Dave Ruller and Mayor Jerry Fiala will share the latest updates on the Fallen Veterans Memorial with council.
- A six-month review of the smoker/cooker permit issued to Water Street Tavern/Cajun Dave’s.
- A presentation on two projects believed to be good candidates to receive state local government Innovation grant funds. Both projects involve the city partnering with neighboring cities to acquire shared equipment that would improve productivity, efficiency and capacity to collaborate.
- An overview of the final terms and conditions of the proposed land swap agreement authorized in concept by council as part of the city's effort to secure the new Portage County Courthouse in downtown Kent.
- An overview of the Certified Local Government (CLG) designation. Over the last five years city officials have been gradually implementing a number of elements that are typically found in a CLG program, including acceptance into Heritage Ohio’s Main Street program, establishing historic design guidelines for downtown Kent, incorporating the design guidelines into city code and creating the Architectural Review Board. There will be a discussion of the final steps necessary to achieve CLG status and to seek council’s adoption of the ordinance required for the submission of the CLG application.
- A discussion on a comprehensive downtown parking management strategy plan proposed for downtown Kent that is designed to support all of the new development activity