Two More Kent Houses Bite The Dust
South Willow Street homes demolished this morning to make way for Esplanade.
The sounds of breaking glass, splintering wood and heavy machinery resonated through the South Willow-East Erie Street neighborhood this morning as Kent State University demolished two more houses.
The university contracted to have the former homes demolished to make way for the University Esplanade extension, a project designed to create an attractive physical link between campus and downtown Kent.
Kent State's Board of Trustees approved the $267,000 purchase of the neighboring homes in June 2009 from owner Joshua R. Greene. Each house had an appraised value of $135,000.
According to Portage County Auditor's Office online records, the 1,696-square-foot house at 214 S. Willow was built in 1930 on a .20-acre parcel. The 1,229-square-foot Craftsman-style house at 220 S. Willow also was constructed in 1930 on a .20-acre parcel.